To promote the safety of our artists, our staff, and our audiences, Spoleto Festival USA has implemented enhanced security protocols at all venues.
Security Searches and Wanding
Before entering a Spoleto Festival USA performance or event, you will be subject to a search of your person, your items, and/or metal-detector wanding. Please arrive at the venue no less than 20 minutes prior to performance time to ensure you can clear security checks prior to curtain.
Clear Bags Policy
With the exception of Firefly Distillery (see below), Spoleto Festival USA has implemented a clear-bag policy for all ticketed events.
- Small clutch bags no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5.”
- Clear plastic bags no larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12.” Logos (4.5″ x 3.4″ max) may appear on one side of the bag.
- Clear, one-gallon plastic freezer bags (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items, or diaper bags for families with infants or toddlers in tow.
All bags subject to search. We strongly recommend minimizing personal items carried into the venue.
Do not leave bags unattended in the venue. Spoleto reserves the right to handle any unattended objects in the manner we deem appropriate.
Spoleto-branded compliant clear bags are available for purchase online in advance for pick-up at our administrative offices at 14 George Street or at our ticket kiosk, located at 375 Meeting St. A limited number of clear bags will be available for purchase at performance venues.
Prohibited Items and Activities
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:
Larger purses, camera bags, backpacks, fanny packs, luggage, computer bags, briefcases, and binocular cases are prohibited.
Coolers, thermoses, bottles, cans, flasks, glass containers are prohibited. Video cameras, tripods, recording devices, drones, selfie sticks, and camera lenses larger than 6” are also prohibited. Laser lights, strobe lights, or pointers will not be admitted. Weapons of any kind, including knives, firearms, ammunition, or toys that appear to be weapons, are prohibited.
Non-service animals will not be admitted.
Spoleto reserves the right to prohibit the admittance or use of any item that may be considered harmful or disruptive, in its sole and absolute discretion.
Prohibited Activities for all venues
- Engaging in unsafe, illegal, disruptive or offensive behavior.
- The sale of goods or services, or the display of goods or services, unless prior written approval has been obtained.
- The distribution of printed or recorded materials of any kind unless prior written approval has been obtained.
- Engaging in any unsafe act or other act that may impede the operation of the event or any part thereof.
- Unauthorized access or entry into backstage areas or areas designated only for staff.
- Unauthorized events, speeches, or use of any flag, banner, sign or other material for commercial purposes, or as part of a demonstration.
- Photography, videotaping or recording of any kind, or otherwise engaging in any activity, for unapproved commercial purposes.
- Unauthorized solicitations of any kind, whether commercial, religious, educational or otherwise, or conducting any unauthorized commercial activities, including solicitations of money or other contributions or donations.
- Obstructing sidewalks, entrances, driveways, patios, vestibules, stairways, corridors, halls or landings.
- This list of prohibited activities is not inclusive and subject to change.
Engaging in prohibited activities may result in the forfeiture of your ticket, without refund, and your removal from the venue.
By attending a Spoleto performance or event, you voluntarily assume all risks related to COVID-19 exposure. In consideration of your fellow patrons, please consider taking a COVID test and masking if you are experiencing symptoms.
Firefly Distillery Exceptions
Due to the “picnic” tradition of Festival Finale, security protocols for Firefly Distillery are slightly modified. Attendees may bring in coolers, blankets, folding chairs, and aerosol cans of bug spray. The clear bag policy does not apply at Firefly Distillery, but all persons and items are subject to search. Alcohol is available for purchase for attendees age 21+. No outside alcohol is permitted. Other prohibited items include: video cameras, tripods, recording devices (other than mobile phones), drones or camera lens larger than 6’, laser lights, strobe lights, or pointers, weapons of any kind, including knives, firearms, ammunition, or toys that appear to be weapons.
Please use good judgment and only bring items you need, thereby expediting the entry process.
Smoking and Tobacco Usage
Our events are smoke-free events. Smoking or vaping of any kind is not permitted at Spoleto performances or events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Spoleto Festival USA adopting a clear bag protocol for its events?
This proactive measure will enhance the safety at all Festival venues and speed up the screening process. Clear bag policies have increasingly been implemented at performing arts events throughout the country. Some do not permit any type of bags to be admitted.
How does this expedite my entry into the venue?
Clear bags enable visitors to move through our security checkpoints faster and allow staff to check bags more efficiently and effectively.
What happens if I arrive without a clear bag?
Individuals in need of a clear bag may purchase one from a member of our Box Office team for $20.
What happens if I show up at the event with a bag that is not permitted?
You will need to purchase a clear bag at the venue in which you must empty to include all items contained in your prohibited bag. Time-permitting, your prohibited bag will be searched and wanded, and only then will you be admitted to the venue.
How many bags can each person bring into the venue?
Each ticketed guest can carry ONE large clear bag – either a one-gallon Ziploc-style bag or the 12″ x 6″ x 12″ clear plastic bag – plus a small clutch purse (4.5″ x 6.5″). The small clutch must be carried into the venue outside the clear bag and is subject to search.
Can I carry phones or tablets separately from what I put in a clear bag?
Yes. Individuals can continue to carry permitted items in their pockets and/or hands such as keys, phones, wallets, makeup, etc. if you choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch.
Are clear backpacks permitted?
Yes. Clear backpacks that do not exceed the 12″ X 6″ X 12″ clear bag protocol are permitted. Any type of clear bag that does not exceed the clear bag size is permitted.
Does my clear bag have to be purchased from Spoleto?
No. Any compliant clear bag is permitted; Spoleto is offering branded bags as a convenience to those that may not otherwise have a clear bag.