Each year the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra, under the direction of Resident Conductor and Director of Orchestral Activities John Kennedy, takes on a dynamic new identity with the participation of both returning and new musicians. Through nationwide auditions, an extremely talented group of young professionals is selected to form the Festival’s resident ensemble. The Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra is central to the international excellence of performances at Spoleto Festival USA and has over the years proven to be one of the finest opportunities for young musicians to gain extensive performance experience. Alumni of the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra can be found in almost every professional orchestra in the United States and many abroad.
There will be no live auditions 2022 Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra. All auditions must be submitted by video.
Please review the following guidelines before filming and submitting your video:
- Videos should be one unedited, continuous take. Do not combine multiple recording sessions or use audio enhancement/editing. Recording audio and video with separate devices (i.e. Zoom microphone and iPhone camera) is permitted, as long as they are from the same take.
- Videos must not exceed 10 minutes in total. Applicants need not play complete movements or pieces for their solo selection. Applicants are free to choose their own stopping and starting points for solos and excerpts. Please review the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra Audition Guidelines before recording
- Please include only one excerpt on auxiliary instruments (piccolo, English horn, E-flat or bass clarinet, etc.).
- OPTIONAL: You are welcome to take up to one minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your musical path, or your hopes regarding participation in Spoleto Festival USA. This may be filmed separately from the rest of your audition video.
- All recordings should be from August 2021 or later.
- Videos should be unaccompanied.
- Videos should not be password protected. Links may be unlisted, but should not require a password. Please verify that videos work before submitting.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm ET on February 14, 2022.