The deadline for 2024 applications has passed and we are unable to accept additional applications at this time as the review process is under way. Information about the 2025 auditions will be released in the fall of 2024.
2024 Auditions Requirements can be found here to give a sample of typical repertoire lists.
Auditions occur via recordings and in-person in various cities through the United States each year, typically during January and/or February.
Each year, the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra takes on a dynamic new identity with the participation of both returning and new musicians. Through nationwide auditions, an exceptionally talented group of early-career professionals is selected to form the Festival’s resident ensemble. The Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra is central to the international excellence of performances at Spoleto Festival USA and has, over the years, proven to be one of the finest opportunities for young musicians to gain extensive performance experience in a variety of repertoire and genres. Alumni of the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra can be found in almost every professional orchestra in the United States and many abroad.
The Music Director of the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra is Timothy Myers.
Contracts range from 2-3 weeks with some contracts extending up to 4 weeks depending on need during the period of mid-May to mid-June each year.
- A weekly salary of $600
- A one-time travel assistance stipend of $250-$350 (depending on departure location, and only for those outside of the Charleston, SC region)
- A housing assistance stipend of ~$1,000 OR free housing in dorms at the College of Charleston
- A Festival access badge for attending other eligible events and performances at the Festival (subject to availability)
- Be able to pass and maintain a clear background check.
- Be available to reside in Charleston and attend rehearsals on a dynamic schedule for the entire period of residency.
- The maximum range is May 13 – June 9, 2024, but actual contract dates are subject to need).
- Releases may be considered for auditions and graduations if they do not conflict with performances.
- Contract dates may vary and we may be able to work with you if you are not available for the full date range listed above.
- Be authorized to work in the U.S. either independently (through citizenship status, green card, etc.) or through Student Visa CPT approval from a current school by April 15, 2024; OPT approval timelines are often difficult for those graduating in the spring of 2024, so consult your school’s international student services officer for feasibility of OPT.
All auditions are heard by Music Director, Timothy Myers and the Spoleto Festival USA Staff.
For questions, contact Philip Snyder, Associate Producer at [email protected].
Spoleto Festival USA is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity in hiring. Equity is central to our culture, mission, and who we are as an arts organization. Spoleto Festival USA does not discriminate in employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, hairstyles or hair texture, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, parental status, marital status, military status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. Our greatest strength comes from our ability to come together as unique individuals — come as you are and bring the best version of yourself.