MUSIC BY GAETANO DONIZETTI
CONDUCTED BY LIDIYA YANKOVSKAYA
DIRECTED BY ANDREA CIGNI
He didn’t believe her
An episode from Dante’s Purgatorio is recast in pre-World War II Tuscany for the US premiere of Pia de’ Tolomei. In this 19th-century opera by Donizetti—whose Lucia di Lammermoor and Maria Stuarda so resonantly portray women in turbulent circumstances—the title character suffers dire consequences due to her husband’s jealousy. A collection of fine Italian paintings pepper breathtaking sets and sharp costumes that evoke 1930s Europe, the visual complement to lush arias and orchestral writing performed by the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra. This production’s high drama, devastating plot, and enveloping score tick all the boxes for lovers of tragic opera.
Sung in Italian with English supertitles.
Pia de’ Tolomei is co-produced by Spoleto Festival USA, Teatro di Pisa, Teatro del Giglio di Lucca, and Teatro Goldoni di Livorno.
You may also be interested in:
Conversations With (June 3 at 5:00pm, FREE)
- Pia de' Tolomei Amanda Woodbury
- Ghino degli Armieri Isaac Frishman
- Nello, Pia's husband Valdis Jansons
- Rodrigo, Pia's brother Cassandra Zoe Velasco
- Piero, a hermit Kevin Langan
- Ubaldo, Nello's servant Nathan Granner
- Bice, Pia's maid Vera Savage
- Lamberto, a servant of Pia's family Matthew Anchel
- Guard of the Tower of Siena Alexander Simon