Brochures have been mailed, the website has been launched, and tickets to the 2014 season of Spoleto Festival USA are officially ON SALE! With so many fantastic performances, knowing where to start can be tricky. Our suggestion? Just go for it! And just in case you need a little extra encouragement, here is our list of the top 10 reasons to attend this season:
1. THE CITY: What could be better than Charleston in the spring? Warm temperatures, great shopping, fantastic hotels, incredible restaurants, and so much more.
2. THE PROGRAM: This seems like a no-brainer, but the 2014 season is filled to the brim with world-class opera, theater, music, dance, and physical theater.
3. THE ARTISTS: The 2014 season is overflowing with incredible talent from across the globe. At least 14 countries are represented.
4. THE VENUES: Festival performances are enhanced by the beautiful, historic, and quintessentially “Charleston” spaces that accommodate the 17-day festival.
5. THE OPERAS: Festival operas are unlike anything else on the program. Produced from start to finish by the Festival, these productions get the Spoleto seal of approval before being presented at other festivals around the world.
6. THE FINALE: The always popular Festival Finale at Middleton Place is getting an extra special infusion of local flavor with Americana/bluegrass/folk band Shovels & Rope.
7. THE ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITIES: At what other point in your life are you going to be able to see chamber music in the afternoon, world-renowned dance before dinner, and an American premiere opera in the evening? The Festival can give you all of that and so much more.
8. THE BUZZ: Charleston takes on a truly unique atmosphere as everyone gets into the spirit of Spoleto. Posters are hung in windows, brochures are in hand as visitors tour the city, musicians are walking up and down the streets with instruments in tow, and there is a good chance you may eat a meal next to one of our many visiting artists!
9. THE FEES (OR LACK THEREOF): To show our appreciation for YOU, our wonderful tickets buyers, we have done away with those pesky handling fees. That’s a considerable savings!
10. IT’S EASY: Buying tickets and attending the Festival has never been easier. Tickets are available online, over the phone (843.579.3100), in person (at the Charleston Visitor Center starting March 17), and through the mobile app. Questions? Our friendly box office staff is always happy to help!